Monday, June 24, 2019

passing deadline

1 1/2 oz Old Granddad Bonded Bourbon
1/2 oz Cocchi Sweet Vermouth (Martini Gran Lusso)
1/2 oz Lustau East India Solera Sherry
1/2 oz Salers Gentiane (Suze)
1 bsp Turbinado Syrup (Simple)
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash Bittermens Mole Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass with ice, and garnish with freshly grated cinnamon and a cinnamon stick.
Two Mondays ago, I selected Nico Martini's Texas Cocktails and spotted the Passing Deadline that I had reserved until I had replaced my Lustau East India Solera Sherry bottle. The recipe was created by Terry Williams at the Anvil in Houston, and as essentially a Manhattan riff with gentian liqueur, it reminded me a bit of the Harry Palmer. In the glass, the Passing Deadline offered up cinnamon and Bourbon aromas along with a hint of sherry. Next, malt and grape mingled on the sip, and the swallow paired the Bourbon with the earthy and herbal gentian and finished with chocolate and spice notes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a fantastic cocktail. I love Old Fashioneds and Manhattans. This one has a unique spin. Probably best in winter.