Thursday, July 25, 2019

rum runner's downfall

1 1/4 oz White Rum (Uruapan Charanda)
3/4 oz 151 Proof Caribbean Rum (Don Q)
2 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Banana Liqueur (Giffard Banane du Bresil)
1/2 oz Blackberry Liqueur (Marie Brizard)
1/2 oz Crème de Peche (Briottet)
8-10 leaf Mint
8 oz Crushed Ice

Blend with out ice to pulverize the mint leaves. Blend with ice for 10 seconds on high, pour into a 16 oz glass or Tiki mug, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with mint sprigs.

Two Wednesdays ago, the heat made me crave a blender drink, and my glorious mint patch made me wonder what I could do along the lines of the Missionary's Downfall. I had previously taken that drink in a Hawaiian direction with the Lili'uokalani's Downfall, but the overlapping rum, pineapple, lime, and fruit liqueur elements reminded me of the Rum Runner (not that specifically that recipe which Jeff Berry uncovered, but the one we did at River Bar last summer with equal parts of dark rum, white rum, pineapple juice, lime juice, crème de mûre, and crème de banane). When I merged the two, I left out the former's honey and latter's grenadine, and I was considering leaving out one of the fruit liqueurs. However, when I asked Andrea's opinion, she suggested leaving all three in there (I was considering leaving out the blackberry since I felt that it might dominate the flavor profile).
For a name, I kept things simple with the Rum Runner's Downfall which reminded me of the Franklin Bearse, a rum runner who met his downfall with a shotgun blast to the face. In the mug, the Rum Runner's Downfall donated a minty and berry bouquet to the nose. Next, lime, blackberry, and vegetal notes on the sip gave way to rum and banana flavors on the swallow with a peach and mint finish.

No comments: