Wednesday, July 3, 2019

santa barbara

1/2 jigger Whiskey (2 oz Four Roses Bourbon)
1/4 jigger Grapefruit Juice (1 oz)
2 dash Apricot Brandy (1/4 oz Combier)
2 dash Simple Syrup (1/4 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I garnished with a grapefruit twist.

Wednesday two weeks ago, I sought out William Boothby's 1934 World Drinks & How to Mix Them and uncovered the Santa Barbara. The recipe reminded me of the Brown Derby with apricot liqueur and simple syrup in place of that classic's honey syrup, so I opted for Bourbon as the whiskey as well as utilizing one of the common recipe skeletons for that drink. After I made it, I was curious if something similar appeared in Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 given its collection of grapefruit Sours, and indeed, the Quebec was very similar with only apricot brandy as the sweetener plus a dash of orange bitters.
The Santa Barbara welcomed the senses with a grapefruit, Bourbon, and apricot aroma. Next, the grapefruit joined the malt notes on the sip, and the swallow showcased the whiskey plus an apricot flavor pleasantly modulated by the grapefruit juice.

No comments: