Saturday, August 24, 2019

nuku hiva

1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum (Coruba)
1 oz Blanco Tequila (Lunazul)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Pineapple Syrup
1/2 oz Don's Spices #2 (1/4 oz Vanilla Syrup + 1/4 oz Hamilton's Allspice Dram)
1 dash Angostura Bitters
6 drop Absinthe (St. George)

Whip shake, pour into a Tiki mug, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with mint sprigs.

Two Saturdays ago, I pondered the pineapple syrup in my refrigerator, and I wondered if I could make a more fruit-forward Jet Pilot. Instead of the cinnamon-falernum duo, I opted for the pineapple syrup that I paired with Don's Spices #2 since both vanilla and allspice are complementary to pineapple flavors; moreover, I swapped out half of the rum for tequila with perhaps the Smoking Jet Pilot in mind. For a name, I wanted something Polynesian and space themed, and I soon learned that fringe groups believe that aliens contributed to the culture on the French Polynesian island of Nuku Hiva. I had previously mentioned the island in 2011 via the Mata Va'ha with respect to a modern tale of human sacrifice there.
The Nuku Hiva launched up with mint aromas over pineapple and tequila notes. Next, lime, grapefruit, and the rum's caramel played on the sip, and the swallow chanted out dark funky rum, vegetal tequila, pineapple, vanilla, and allspice flavors.

No comments: