Saturday, September 21, 2019

highlander

2 oz Johnnie Walker Red Scotch (Cutty Sark Prohibition)
1/2 oz Benedictine
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Saturdays ago, I returned home late after a long shift at work. I was in the mood for something strong yet easy and quick to make, and I recalled seeing the Highlander mentioned in Clair McLafferty's The Classic & Craft Cocktail Recipe Book when I made the Indian Summer. Clair pointed me in the direction of Paul Harrington's 1998 Cocktail: The Drinks Bible for the 21st Century, and that book indicated that it was one of Paul's original recipes. Paul explained, "My father's drink was the Rusty Nail which was too sweet for me, and I was intrigued by French liqueurs after my experience with Chartreuse. I was looking for some more applications for the Benedictine that sat on our top shelf." I was attracted for it reminded me of the rye-based Frisco that I tinkered with in the Call of the Wild.
The Highlander marched to the nose with lemon oil over peat smoke aromas. Next, a rich and malt sip climbed towards a smoky Scotch, chocolate-herbal, allspice, and clove swallow.

No comments: