Monday, November 25, 2019

le subtil

2 oz Bols Genever
1/2 oz Cardamaro
1/2 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth (Martini Grand Lusso)
2 dash Bittermens Grapefruit Bitters (Bittercube Jamaican #2)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a grapefruit twist.
Two Mondays ago, I returned to my list of Cardamaro drinks that I had assembled, and I selected Toby Cecchini's 2009 Le Subtil from The Death & Co. Cocktail Book. Genever and Cardamaro are a duo that I experienced in the Deck Hand and the Walking Spanish, so I was interested in trying it again in a simpler form. Here, the Le Subtil began with grapefruit oil and Genever's malt aroma. Next, the malt continued on into the sip where it mingled with the grape notes, and the swallow showcased the Genever's botanicals melding into a gently bitter finish that ended with grapefruit accents.

No comments: