Tuesday, December 17, 2019

bolo

1 oz Medium Aged Puerto Rican Rum (Flor de Caña Añejo Oro)
3/4 oz Aged Rhum Agricole (Rhum Clement Premiere Canne, unaged)
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/4 oz Honey Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a hollowed out pineapple or a large snifter glass, and fill with crushed ice.
Two Tuesdays ago, I selected the Minimalist Tiki book and turned to their section of 30 classics. The Bolo called out to me; it was the Luau in Beverly Hill's take on Don the Beachcomber's Pi-Yi. The combination of rums, two juices, and two syrups reminded me of the Samoan Typhoon and perhaps the Lili'uokalani's Downfall. Once prepared, the Bolo danced to the nose with grassy funk and passion fruit aromas. Next, lime, passion fruit, and pineapple notes on the sip erupted into funky rum and passion fruit flavors on the swallow with a honey and clove finish.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How do you make your passion fruit syrup?

CocktailVirgin said...

I do 200 grams of frozen passion fruit puree to 8 oz of sugar and 8 oz of hot water. I find my puree in the freezer section of the Brazilian markets around me. For $4, I get a bag with 4 of these 200 gram packs.