Monday, December 30, 2019

pink garter

1/2 jigger Gin (1 1/2 oz Beefeater)
1/4 jigger Grenadine (1/2 oz)
1 spoon Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1 spoon Orange Juice (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.

Two Mondays ago, I began thumbing through Boothby's 1934 World Drinks and How to Mix Them when I spotted the Pink Garter. While the name conjured up the Pink Lady especially with the overlapping gin, lemon, and grenadine elements, I soon realized that it was a gin version of the Ward Eight. Therefore, I shaped the recipe recipe closer to how I make that Boston classic.
The Pink Garter met the nose with an orange oil, pine, and pomegranate bouquet. Next, berry, lemon, and orange on the sip gave way to gin and berry flavors on the swallow with a lemon finish. Overall, gin worked better with orange juice than rye or Bourbon do in the Ward Eight, so the combination was definitely more of a win.

No comments: