Tuesday, February 25, 2020

schrage muzik

1 oz Rhum Agricole Blanc (Rhum Clement Premiere Canne)
1/2 oz Mezcal (Fidencio)
1/2 oz Swedish Punsch (*)
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/2 oz Campari (*)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Build in a rocks glass without ice. Stir to mix, garnish with an orange twist, and serve at room temperature. Perfect of flask filling as well.
(*) This was originally created with 3/4 oz Swedish Punsch and 1/4 oz Campari which was tasty but I felt that the Campari needed to come forward more.

My Facebook memories reminded me that in 2013 I created a room temperature drink called the Madame Mustache for the Whiskey Amari series night I did with Katie Emmerson. The event organizer, bartender Matt Schrage, requested a Scaffa (a room temperature drink with bitters but no dilution) for his birthday which fell on our date. Since Matt was a fan of rhum agricole, I ended up utilizing that as a base. Now seven years later, I decided to pay tribute to Matt again on his birthday with a variation on that concept although sans opportunity to serve him one. For a name, I figured that this one might hit you like a WWII armament, and I dubbed it the Schrage Muzik.
The Schrage Muzik began with orange oil, grassy funk, and hints of smoke on the nose. Next, a rich caramel sip shot into a grassy, herbaceous, and orange-apricot swallow with smoke, tea tannin, and spice elements on the finish.

No comments: