Monday, May 18, 2020

butcher cocktail

50% Scotch Whisky (1 1/2 oz Cuttysark Prohibition)
25% Dry Gin (3/4 oz St. George Dry Rye Gin)
25% Regular Vermouth (3/4 oz Cocchi Sweet)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I garnished with a cherry.
The discussion of the Brooklyn Cocktail first appearing in the 1908 Jack's Manual amid my post on the An Apple Tree Grows in Brooklyn made me seek out my 1933 reprint of Jack's Manual. There, I spotted the Butcher Cocktail that reminded me of the Automobile Cocktail with different proportions and no bitters. As I contemplated the gin to work well with the whisky, I figured that a softer and more grain-forward one would work and selected St. George's Dry Rye Gin. Once prepared, the Butcher Cocktail met the nose with a peat and pine aroma. Next, a grape sip chopped into smoky Scotch, fruity, and herbal flavors on the swallow.

No comments: