Monday, June 22, 2020

lorikeet

2 oz Rittenhouse Bonded Rye
1/2 oz Giffard Banane du Bresil
1/4 oz Cinnamon Syrup
1 oz Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
6 dash Peychaud's Bitters
4 dash Angostura Bitters

Whip shake, pour into a Collins glass, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with an orange twist and pineapple leaves (honeysuckle blossoms).

Two Mondays ago, I was feeling the need for something tropical, so I selected Shannon Mustipher's 2019 Modern Tropical Cocktails book. There, I selected the Lorikeet as a Jungle Bird riff that subbed out the Campari and simple syrup for banana liqueur, cinnamon syrup, and two types of non-potable bitters. This stood out more to me than the base switching from rum to rye and the citrus from lime to lemon. Overall, the concept seemed delightful, and I was curious to see how Angostura and Peychaud's would perform in place of the Campari.
Lorikeets are colorful and vocal parrots found in Australia and New Guinea, so I figured that an exotic-looking floral garnish would work rather well here since I lacked a pineapple fruit to pluck leaves from. Once prepared, the Lorikeet flew to the senses with a pineapple, cinnamon, and banana bouquet. Next, lemon and pineapple mingled on the sip, and the swallow called out with rye, bitter banana, and bubblegum flavors and a cinnamon and anise finish.

No comments: