Saturday, June 27, 2020

sinking stone

1 1/4 oz Koch Espadin Mezcal (Fidencio)
1/2 oz Plantation Jamaican Rum
1/2 oz Atxa Vino Vermouth Blanco (Dolin Blanc)
1/2 oz Cynar
1/4 oz Plantation Pineapple Rum

Stir with ice, strain into a rock glass with a large ice cube (coupe glass without ice), and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Saturdays ago, I ventured out of my house to safely buy Ivy Mix's Spirits of Latin America book from the Boston Shaker store (purchasable here via their web store). That evening, I opened the book and decided to make the first recipe that caught my eye -- the Sinking Stone that I believe is one of Ivy's originals from Leyenda in Brooklyn inspired by the Negroni. With mezcal, two rums, and Cynar in the recipe, I was sold. The Sinking Stone greeted the senses with an orange oil aroma that melded into the pineapple and smoky agave bouquet. Next, Cynar's caramel filled the sip, and the swallow proffered rum, smoke, and vegetal flavors.

No comments: