Tuesday, July 28, 2020

how to kill a friend

1 1/2 oz Mezcal (Fidencio)
3/4 oz Campari
1/2 oz Pedro Ximenez Sherry (Oxford 1970)
1/4 oz Triple Sec (Cointreau)
1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
4 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a Collins glass, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with mint sprigs.
Two Tuesdays ago, I selected a recipe that I had spotted in December's Imbibe Magazine called the How to Kill a Friend that I set aside since I lacked mint for the garnish (given that I grow so much mint throughout the year, I refused to buy it in the off season). This mezcal Jungle Bird riff was crafted by Paul Shanrock at Seattle's Stampede Cocktail Club. Once prepared, the How to Kill a Friend lent a mint, smoke, and grape aroma to the nose. Next, grape, lime, and pineapple notes on the sip plunged into smoky mezcal, raisin, and bitter orange flavors on the swallow with a clove finish.

2 comments:

kj said...

Who named this cocktail and why?

CocktailVirgin said...

The drink was created by Paul Shanrock, so he either had a hand in naming it or knows why his recipe became known as such.