Monday, July 13, 2020

improved bamboo

3/4 oz Amontillado Sherry (Lustau)
3/4 oz Fino Sherry (Lustau)
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
3/4 oz Blanc Vermouth (Dolin)
1 bsp Maraschino Liqueur (1/8 oz Luxardo)
1 dash Absinthe (20 drop St. George)
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.

After the Rockin' Like Bamboo the night before, I was motivated to create my own riff on the Bamboo. Or I should say "again," for I have made the classic into a Crusta and a Flip before as well as taking it in a Madeira direction that was my first contribution to the Loyal Nine menu. I appreciated the split nature of the Rockin' Like Bamboo, so I kept the dry and blanc vermouth mix; moreover, I split the sherry between the Fino that I associate with the drink and the Amontillado that I utilized before I added Fino into my wine fridge. To take things one step further, I Improved things in an 1876 Jerry Thomas sort of way with accents of Maraschino and absinthe especially given how well Maraschino pairs with nutty sherries like Amontillado.
The Improved Bamboo met the nose with an orange oil, nutty, cherry, and herbal bouquet. Next, a crisp grape sip with a hint of cherry slid into nutty grape and cherry flavors on the swallow with an anise and spice finish.

No comments: