Wednesday, September 16, 2020

florida

2/3 Dry Gin (1 1/2 oz Damrak)
2 dash Grapefruit Juice (1/2 oz)
2 dash French Vermouth (1/2 oz Noilly Prat Dry)
2 dash Raspberry Syrup (1/2 oz)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added a grapefruit twist.

Two Wednesdays ago, I spotted another use for my new batch of raspberry syrup in Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 called the Florida. With the gin and dry vermouth in the mix, it reminded me of the Clover Club that I had just made minus the egg white. And like other Florida-themed drinks in that book such as the Jacksonville, Augustine, and Orlando, the Florida here had grapefruit juice as the citrus.
The Florida wafted a grapefruit and juniper combination to the nose. Next, grapefruit and red berry notes on the sip slid into gin, raspberry, and herbal flavors on the swallow.

No comments: