Thursday, September 24, 2020

the manila hoop punch

2 pony Port Wine (2 oz Sandeman Founders)
1 pony Cognac (1 oz Courvoisier VS)
1/2 pony Curaçao (1/2 oz Pierre Ferrand)
1/2 pony Lemon or Lime Juice (1/2 oz Lemon)

Build in a goblet and fill with crushed ice; I garnished with a mint sprig and freshly grated nutmeg.
Two Thursdays ago, I was inspired to make the Manila Hoop Punch from Charles H. Baker's 1939 The Gentleman's Companion that was the inspiration for the Port World Cup Cocktail that I wrote about two days prior. The original called for brandy and curaçao instead of the riff's rum and Becherovka spiced liqueur, and Baker first had this in 1931 and attributed it to "Monk" Antrim's No. 1 bartender. Once built, the Manila Hoop Punch welcomed the nose with a woody spice and mint bouquet. Next, grape, lemon, and hints of orange on the sip jumped into Cognac, port, and orange flavors on the swallow. Overall, it first reminded me of a port-driven Sidecar until I remembered that I had enjoyed that flavor combination before in the St. Charles Ave Punch from Stanley Arthur Clisby's 1937 Famous New Orleans' Drinks & How to Mix'Em.

No comments: