Thursday, December 10, 2020

california zephyr

1/2 jigger Applejack (1 1/4 oz Laird's Bonded)
1/2 jigger Coronet Brandy (1 1/4 oz Pierre Ferrand Ambre Cognac)
1 bsp Apricot Brandy (1/3 oz Rothman & Winter)
1 bsp Absinthe (>1/2 bsp St. George)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Thursdays ago, I opened up Ted Saucier's Bottoms Up and spotted the California Zephyr. I assumed that the name was a nod to Coronet Brandy being a domestic brandy made in California, and the combination seemed intriguing. As I was drinking it, I soon realized that I had this combination years ago as the classic Saucy Sue from The Savoy Cocktail Book that had a more international flair with Calvados and Cognac as its spirits call. Regardless, the California Zephyr showcased the brandy, orange oil, and hint of orchard fruit on the nose. Next, the apple-driven sip gave way to Cognac morphing into apricot on the swallow with an anise finish.

No comments: