Friday, December 11, 2020

nice one

1 1/2 oz Perucchi Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
1 1/2 oz Amontillado Sherry (La Garrocha)
Scant 1/2 oz Giffard Banane du Bresil
(1 dash Abbott's Bitters)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Fridays ago, I reached for Drew Lazor's Session Cocktails book and spotted the Nice One. The recipe was crafted by Dan Greenbaum at the Diamond Reef in Brooklyn with banana nut bread being the starting point for this riff on the Adonis. The combination of Amontillado sherry and crème de banane was one that worked well in the Good Samaritan and the French Connection, so I was definitely game to give it a try. I regret that I did not have the spice-driven Spanish vermouth that the recipe called for on hand; with the Cocchi sweet vermouth, the drink turned out a bit too sweet for me, so my addition of a dash of aromatic bitters helped here to donate spice, provide depth, and dry things out a touch.
The Nice One proffered an orange, nutty, and banana aroma. Next, a sweet grape sip gave way to a nutty and banana swallow.

No comments: