Thursday, January 21, 2021

storm king

2 oz Blended Scotch (Famous Grouse)
1/2 oz Nocino (Russo)
1/4 oz Benedictine
3 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a cherry.
One of my other purchases was a bottle of walnut liqueur, and for a starting point, I looked to the Kindred Cocktails database. There, I spotted the Storm King created by Damon Boelte at Brooklyn's Grand Army Bar and published in the November/December 2019 issue of Imbibe Magazine; the combination of Scotch and walnut fondly reminded me of drinks like My Triumphs, My Mistakes and the Expatriot. Once prepared, the Storm King summoned a malt, cinnamon, and clove bouquet to the nose. Next, malt paired with a dark richness from the liqueurs on the sip, and the swallow came through with Scotch, walnut, and herbal flavors on the swallow with a clove and nutmeg finish. Overall, it was a touch more spiced than the 2012 Sentimental Gentleman but otherwise rather similar.

No comments: