Sunday, February 7, 2021

pleasure and pain

1 3/4 oz Batavia Arrack
1/2 oz Nux Alpina (Russo Nocino)
1/2 oz Branca Menta
1/4 oz Benedictine

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
Two Sundays ago, I was intrigued with a recipe that I had spotted on the Kindred Cocktails database -- namely, the Pleasure and Pain that Misty Kalkofen created at Brick & Mortar in 2012. Misty's use of walnut liqueur in the Human Rocket, In Vida Veritas, Sentimental Gentleman, and other drinks made me curious as to what she saw in its pairing with Batavia Arrack. Moreover, the duo of Branca Menta and Benedictine in the mix intrigued me. Once prepared, the Pleasure and Pain conjured a minty and menthol aroma. Next, a caramel-driven sip cracked into funky Batavia Arrack, earthy walnut, and Fernet's gentian and mint flavors on the swallow. Overall, I was impressed at how well the Branca Menta kept the Batavia Arrack in check.

No comments: