Monday, February 8, 2021

working in a coal mine

1 1/2 oz Scotch (Cutty Sark Prohibition)
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)
1/2 oz Walnut Liqueur (Rosso Nocino)
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash Orange Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Mondays ago, I was still thinking about Misty Kalkofen's Human Rocket that I featured in a video for work. Therefore, I kept the apricot-walnut aspect intact as I riffed on this concept. Instead of Bourbon, I opted for Scotch which worked well with walnut in cocktails like the Storm King and My Triumphs, My Mistakes, and I swapped out the gentian liqueur for Punt e Mes and dashes of bitters. For a name, I kept with the Human Rocket's DEVO theme and named it after another of their songs -- Working in the Coal Mine.
The Working in a Coal Mine dug up an orange, smoke, walnut, and grape aroma. Next, Punt e Mes' grape joined the Scotch's malt on the sip, and the swallow proffered smoky whisky and bitter apricot flavors with a walnut finish.

No comments: