Monday, April 12, 2021

1492

1 1/2 oz Redemption Rye (Old Overholt)
3/4 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
1/2 oz Lustau Fino Sherry (La Gitana Manzanilla)
1/2 oz Campari

Throw the cocktail until chilled. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Mondays ago, I was perusing the ShakeStir site for drink ideas when I came across a recipe by Sam Treadway at Backbar for a 2017 competition. That cocktail was the 1492 that was a 1794 variation with the Spanish elements of Fino sherry as well as throwing cocktails to mix them. Since I had never thrown a cocktail before, I figured that it was a good time as any to start, and it would give my arm still aching from my first vaccine shot that morning some needed exercise. My sore arm and lack of confidence in the technique did not allow for extravagant aerations at altitude, so I added a few additional throws to the suggested six. Once served, the 1492 gave forth rye whiskey and lemon oil aromas over grape undertones. The grape continued on into the sip where it mingled with a peachy-orange note, and the swallow continued on with rye along with bitter peach flavors.

No comments: