Friday, April 23, 2021

the higgins

2 oz Smith & Cross Rum
1/4 oz Grade B Maple Syrup
2 dash Bittercube Blackstrap Bitters
1 pinch Salt

Build in a double old fashioned glass, add a large ice cube, stir, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Fridays ago, I selected Robert Simonson's The Old Fashioned book from my shelves and spied the Higgins. The recipe was created in 2012 by Damian Higgins who is a DJ named Dieselboy and not a professional bartender. Overall, a maple-sweetened Smith & Cross Old Fashioned seemed to fit my mood and I was curious to see how the salt would modulate the burly rum; moreover, it made me fondly think of the D-Day Rum Sazerac that I had at the Green Goddess in New Orleans. In the glass, the Higgins met the nose with orange, rum funk, and maple aromas. Next, the maple continued into the sip, and the swallow presented the funky rum such that it tasted a little like baijiu until the ice had diluted the drink a bit.

No comments: