Wednesday, April 28, 2021

when my train pulls in

1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey (Old Overholt)
1/2 oz Swedish Punsch (Kronan)
1/2 oz Fernet Branca
1/2 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with orange oil from a twist (orange twist).

Two Wednesdays ago, I had a rather large dinner and sought out a Fernet Branca recipe to sooth my stomach. I began to search the ShakeStir site for recipes, and there I found the When My Train Pulls in by Chris Dempsey at the Quarter Bar in Trophy Club, Texas, circa 2017. The presence of apricot liqueur seemed alluring for it generally works well with amaro such as in the One One Thousand; moreover, the Swedish punsch in the drink has a great flavor synergy with apricot liqueur that I discovered first in the Havana Cocktail.
This drink named after a Gary Clark Jr. song proffered an orange oil, apricot, and menthol bouquet to the nose. Next, malt, apricot, and caramel on the sip drove on into rye, bitter fruit, and minty-menthol flavors on the swallow. Overall, the apricot and Swedish punsch did a solid job mollifying Fernet Branca's rougher edges.

No comments: