Monday, May 24, 2021

bon vivant

1 1/3 oz Jamaican Rum (Plantation Xaymaca)
2/3 oz Cognac (Pierre Ferrand Ambre)
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Becherovka
1 dash Fee's Black Walnut Bitters (2 dash Strongwater)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added a lemon twist to the recipe.

Two Mondays ago, Jason Clapham, the Cocktail Member of the St. Edward's MCR in Oxford, send me a message on Instagram that I read as I was walking home from my bar shift. He wanted to share with me his Bon Vivant that he was proud of, and he described it as "inspired by Jerry Thomas of course." Since the combination reminded me of Chuck Taggart's Swell Season with a different spirit base, I was intrigued. He mentioned that he utilized Plantation Xaymaca as the rum, so I went with that since it is in my collection.
The Bon Vivant unfurled a lemon, fruity funk, and ginger aroma to the nose. Next, caramel and grape swirled on the sip, and the swallow bowed with funky rum, Cognac, rounded bitter, clove, and cinnamon flavors.

No comments: