Monday, May 17, 2021

dutch angle

1 1/4 oz Bols Genever
3/4 oz Meletti Amaro
3/4 oz Pedro Ximenez Sherry (Oxford 1970)
2 dash Cocktail Kingdom Wormwood Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with flamed orange oil from a twist (unflamed).

Two Mondays ago, it was announced that the Franklin Mortgage & Investment Co. in Philadelphia had closed its doors, and I decided to find a recipe of theirs to make in tribute. My search landed upon a Colin Shearn recipe on Chowhound called the Dutch Angle that he created at that bar circa 2011. The name is a reference to a camera shot at an angle such that the horizon is not parallel with the edges, and the name made a great match to the Genever spirit that I knew Colin knew how to utilize from his Archipelago Swizzle. When I posted the drink on Instagram, Colin replied, "One of the best drinks I ever created. Pretty sure I made it with Nardini tho? But maybe not. It's been a long time." Unfortunately, I was unable to find a menu that listed this drink to verify either amaro.
The Dutch Angle welcomed the senses with an orange, raisin, malty, caramel, and violet bouquet. Next, a caramel and grape sip rotated into a malty and bitter floral swallow with a caramel, coffee, and raisin finish.

No comments: