Tuesday, June 22, 2021

pillars of society

2 oz Punt e Mes
3/4 oz Cynar (*)
1/4 oz Curaçao (Pierre Ferrand) (*)
2 dash Absinthe (1/2 bsp Kübler)

Build in a rocks glass, give a quick stir, garnish with a lemon twist, and serve room temperature.
(*) Original was 1/2 oz each which was too orange forward; I wanted to do a 2:1 which has worked before but 2/3 to 1/3 oz seemed awkward.

I continued on with my tinkering with the Cynar-curaçao combination, and I began to think about Maks Pazuniak's room temperature drinks such as the Charlatan. I kept that drink's Punt e Mes base, swapped in the two liqueurs, and accented the concept with absinthe. Moreover, the curaçao in a drink such as this reminded me of Kirk Estopinal's Hotel Room Temperature. Like the Prelude to a Broken Arm, I kept with the Dada art theme and named this the Pillars of Society after a 1926 piece by Hugo Ball.
The Pillars of Society greeted the senses with a lemon, orange, caramel, and grape bouquet. Next, grape and orange notes on the sip flowed into bitter orange and funky vegetal flavors on the swallow with an anise finish.

No comments: