Monday, June 7, 2021

sound of silence

2 oz Wild Turkey Rye (Rittenhouse Bonded)
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Pedro Ximenez Sherry (Oxford 1970)
2 dash Scrappy's Orange Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass (I added a large ice cube), and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Mondays ago, I returned to the Community Cocktails book and spotted Mark Sassi's Sound of Silence that he created at the Smith Tower in Seattle; Mark later commented that he is now bartending at Rob Roy. The combination of Cynar, Pedro Ximenez sherry, and orange bitters reminded me of Chad Austin's I Want to Believe, so I was curious to try it with rye instead of rum (and a pinch of salt). Once prepared, the Sound of Silence began with an orange, caramel, and raisin aroma. Next, grape and caramel on the sip transitioned to rye, raisin, and funky herbal flavors on the swallow.

No comments: