Thursday, August 5, 2021

stranger than kindness

1 oz Rhum Agricole Blanc (Rhum Clement Premiere Canne)
1 oz Mezcal (Mezcal Union)
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/2 oz Apricot Liqueur
2 dash Mole Bitters (Bittermens)

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass.

Two Thursdays ago, I was reminded of the Up Jumped the Devil and was inspired to riff on it. That drink featured the mezcal-rhum agricole combination that I was first introduced to in the Chantico and Wilhelm Scream at Craigie on Main, and I have used an additional few times in the Lili'uokalani's Downfall and Miracles Take Longer. Instead of the Cynar-Green Chartreuse duo, I opted for the apricot-Benedictine one that I first noted in the Silk Road Sour and utilized in the Bedford Nest, Peruvian Necktie, and Fall on Me. For a name, I stayed with the original's Nick Cave concept and dubbed this one Stranger than Kindness.
The Stranger than Kindness began with a funky vegetal and apricot aroma. Next, the rich sip yielded caramel notes from the Benedictine, and the swallow rounded things up with vegetal, herbal, and apricot flavors with a chocolate finish.

No comments: