Thursday, October 21, 2021

mockingbird, wish me luck

1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse)
1/2 oz Aquavit (Aalborg)
3/4 oz Cynar
1/4 oz Green Chartreuse
2 dash Mole Bitters (Bittermens)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Thursdays ago, I got back from a night out doing brand work and was in no mood to search for a drink of the night. Instead, I was inspired by the rye-aquavit combination from the Long Way Home and Carra-Ryed Away and decided to mash it up with the Cynar, Chartreuse, and mole bitters trio from my Up Jumped the Devil (which I believe was inspired by The Drink of Laughter and Forgetting). For a name, I dubbed this one Mockingbird, Wish Me Luck after the title of Charles Bukowski's 1972 book of poetry.
The Mockingbird, Wish Me Luck donated an orange, caraway, and herbal aroma. Next, caramel and malt on the sip led into rye, caraway, funky herbal, and Green Chartreuse flavors on the swallow with a chocolate finish. While the other two combinations were what inspired this drink, it was the Chartreuse-aquavit pairing that had a beautiful synergy here.

No comments: