Wednesday, January 26, 2022

close but no cigar

1 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1 oz Sagamore Rye (Templeton)
3/4 oz Manzanilla Sherry (Tio Pepe Fino)
1/2 oz Honey Syrup
3 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass rinsed with Laphroaig Scotch and containing ice, and garnish with an orange twist (lemon twist).
Two Wednesdays ago, I ventured back to my new San Francisco Cocktails book and spied the Close but No Cigar. The drink was crafted by Anthony Stewart at the Commissary as an Old Fashioned riff even though it came across more of a Manhattan to me. In the glass, the Close but No Cigar presented a lemon and peat smoke nose. Next, the honey notes filled the sip, and the swallow donated rye, savory, honey, and chocolate flavors with an anise finish.

2 comments:

Spencer said...

What do you think the drink is getting from the two different ryes? We often see multiple rums, but I don't know if I've seen multiple ryes before!

CocktailVirgin said...

I've seen it Death & Co. recipes and other before. I definitely pick ryes by how I want it to shine or the other ingredients -- like using a softer rye like Old Overholt to allow the Picon in a Brooklyn to sing or using a hotter and more aggressive rye like Rittenhouse to cut through sweeter ingredients. There are variations in rye content, barrel notes, yeast flavors, and balance, so I could see using two. Also common when a brand ambassador want you to use their product but using it as the sole spirit would kill the pour cost so it is split with a cheaper one.