Monday, June 27, 2022

mingo creek

1 1/2 oz Old Overholt Rye
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
1/4 oz Dry Vermouth (1/2 oz Noilly Prat (*))
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist (omit)
(*) I mis-read it and perhaps I wanted it to add up to 3 oz total. No regrets.
Recently, Camper English posted a photo of the Left Coast Libations book that was published in 2010, and I selected it two Mondays ago to see if I had glossed over any gems. There, I found the Mingo Creek by Tara McLaughlin at the Rob Roy in Seattle that she named after the Mingo Creek Association who were believe to be the leading force in the Whiskey Rebellion of 1791. I most likely skipped over the recipe for it was too close to Audrey Saunder's Little Italy, but I decided to give it a go after recalling Tara's Gin Anthem. In the glass, the Mingo Creek supplied rye, grape, caramel, and vegetal aromas to the nose. Next, the grape and caramel notes continued into the sip, and the swallow donated rye, funky herbal, plum, and allspice flavors.

No comments: