Saturday, July 30, 2022

balboa

1 oz Pisco (Macchu)
1 oz Cachaça (Cuca Fresca)
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/4 oz Pineapple Syrup
2 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Saturdays ago, I was thinking about the pisco-cachaça combination that I have recently used in the South American Honey Bee and the Don't Talk to Strangers. I decided to take it in a pineapple syrup-tinged Dry Martini direction that I first spotted in the Madame Lou in Boothby's 1934 World Drinks and How to Mix Them. The drink that I named the Balboa after the person who first conceived the Panama Canal back in 1513 began with an orange, earthy, and grassy aroma. Next, a semi-sweet sip sailed into earthy, grassy, and pineapple notes on the swallow.

No comments: