Wednesday, August 31, 2022

sargasso

2 oz Aged Rhum Agricole (JM Gold)
3/4 oz Lustau East India Solera Sherry
1/2 oz Aperol
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Wednesdays ago, I came across the recipe for the Sargasso that I had made just before I had started writing for the blog here in June of 2008, so it never got entered on my LiveJournal; therefore, I decided to give it another spin 14 years later and finally post it. The drink was created by Don Lee at PDT in Manhattan, and it placed second in the 3rd annual Rhum Clement's Cocktail Challenge in 2008. The combination was very similar to the rye-based Dewey D that Daniel Eun of PDT made for us at his guest shift at Eastern Standard in September 2008. Perhaps the Lustau East India Solera Sherry-Aperol duo was a popular motif at that bar back then. In my revisit, the Sargasso put forth an orange and grassy aroma. Next, grape and orange notes on the sip floated by grassy, funky rhum, berry, and orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: