Monday, August 22, 2022

the ecstasy of gold

1 1/2 oz Armagnac (Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac)
1/2 oz Crème de Banane (Tempus Fugit)
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/2 oz Lemon Juice (*)
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with ice, and strain into a cocktail coupe.
(*) Perhaps 3/4 oz lemon juice would balance the sweetness better.
Two Mondays ago, I was looking through the Kindred Cocktails database when I spied the Ecstasy of Gold by Chicago-based user named Applejack in 2019. The combination of crème de banane, Benedictine, and lemon was alluring for it reminded me of Sahil Mehta's Bird of Passage. Once prepared, this Armagnac drink delivered a lemon and banana bouquet to the nose. Next, a creamy, lemon, and tropical sip led into brandy, herbal, and banana flavors on the swallow. Overall, the balance was a touch sweet for me, so see my note above about upping the lemon juice slightly.

2 comments:

ApplejackTAC said...

Fred, as always, I appreciate you trying one of my drink recipes.

It's been awhile since I made this (it was 2 jobs ago), but I do know I used the Giffard Banane du Brasil as opposed to the Tempus Fugit Creme de Banane. I find the TF product to be sweeter and more syrupy than the Giffard, which could explain the slight sweet unbalance you found. As a side note, this build was a definitely a bit smaller than what I typically do, simply because the place I designed this drink for used the small-ish 5.5 oz Libbey coupe glasses. And egg white sours are pretty tight in that. I might re-visit it again and tweak the recipe for something larger, and update the recipe at KC. Thanks!

- Todd (aka Applejack)

CocktailVirgin said...

I previously had Giffard but when I went to replace it, it was out of stock everywhere, so I switched to TF. I do have Giffard at work (obviously out of stock issues since a friend's bar borrowed 2 bottles to get them through their menu). Hadn't tasted them side-by-side though.