Monday, September 12, 2022

all signs point to yes

2 oz Mezcal (Fidencio)
1/2 oz Aperol
1/2 oz Cynar
1/4 oz Campari

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a flamed orange twist (unflamed).
Two Mondays ago, I was interested in a Cynar-Aperol drink except I can no longer remember why that pair had inspired me. It is one that I first tried in 2008 with the biggest early impact being Aaron Butler's The Scottish Play at Russell House Tavern in 2010 and Jared Sadoian's Juan Bautista at Craigie on Main in 2011. Moreover, it appears in only one of my creations called The Elephant in the Room after watching political debate coverage in early 2020. Therefore, I set off searching the Kindred Cocktail database and found a pair of drinks with Eight Ball-themed names call the Ask Again Later and All Signs Point to Yes by Michael Alwill circa 2012 of the Cocktail Democracy blog. The latter called out to me more, and it welcomed my nose with a smoky, vegetal, and orange bouquet. Next, caramel and orange elements on the sip predicted smoky, vegetal bitter, and berry-orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: