Thursday, September 22, 2022

big spender

1 oz Pierre Ferrand Ambre Cognac
1 oz Plantation Pineapple Rum
1/2 oz Drambuie
1/2 oz Fernet Branca

Stir with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with orange oil from a twist.
Two Thursdays ago, I had a guest at work who wanted a Rusty Nail, and I began thinking about Drambuie. I then recalled the delightful Drambuie-Fernet combination in the Bittered Old Coot and Bonita Applebum, and I took things in a Cognac and pineapple rum direction later that evening. For a name, the song "Big Spender" by Peggy Lee was on the sound system, and I went with it. In the glass, the Big Spender proffered orange over darker aromas and fruit notes to the nose. Next, a honey and caramelized pineapple sip gave way to Cognac flavors with Fernet's bitterness on the swallow and pineapple and menthol on the finish.

No comments: