Friday, September 9, 2022

dolemite

2 oz Rittenhouse Bonded Rye
1/2 oz Crème de Cacao (Tempus Fugit)
1/2 oz Cynar

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a cherry.
After getting home from Ireland two Fridays ago, my new purchase of the 3rd edition of Dave Stolte's Home Bar Basics (and Not So Basics) was waiting for me. When I opened it up, I was searching for a solid nightcap that would be easy to assemble to get me into sound sleep as soon as possible. The one that called out to me was the Dolemite by Jason Schiffer at 320 Main in Seal Beach, California, circa the 2010s era. The recipe reminded me of my 2011 Coney Island that took the rye-cacao combination in a Punt e Mes and Angostura Bitters direction instead of Cynar. Here, the Dolemite mingled funky herbal, chocolate, and rye aromas underneath the nose. Next, caramel and roast notes on the sip got busted by rye, vegetal, and cacao flavors on the swallow.

No comments: