Wednesday, September 28, 2022

i against i

1 oz Hampden Estate Jamaican Rum (3/4 oz Coruba + 1/4 oz Smith & Cross)
1 oz Great King Street Glasgow Blend Scotch (Cutty Sark Prohibition)
1/4 oz Honey Syrup 2:1 (3/8 oz 1:1)
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters
1/2 dash Bitter End Jamaican Jerk Bitters (Bittercube Jamaica #2)

Stir with ice, strain into a old fashioned pre-rinsed with Strega, and garnish with grapefruit oil from a twist.
After my bar shift two Wednesdays ago, I selected Death & Co.'s Welcome Home book and landed upon Matthew Belanger's 2019 drink named I against I. I assumed that it was named after the punk band from the Netherlands, but it could be named after one of Bad Brains' albums, a 2012 movie, a song from Massive Attack, and a few other possibilities. With no hint in the text, I continued on to mix up the recipe. Soon, my nose was greeted by grapefruit oil and herbal-spice aromas from the Strega. Next, caramel and honey notes on the sip charged into Scotch, funky rum, clove, and anise flavors on the swallow.

No comments: