Sunday, October 2, 2022

best fronds

1 1/2 oz Pineapple Rum (Plantation)
3/4 oz Campari
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
2 dash Chocolate Bitters (Angostura Cocoa)

Stir with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with a lime twist (express and discard).
During Negroni Week two weeks prior, I had spotted a post about a pineapple rum drink called the Best Fronds on my Instagram feed. I tracked down the recipe to the Educated Barfly site where it was attributed to Chris Day at Oakland's Kon-Tiki. While read like a pineapple rum Right Hand, the named seemd to make a pun on the whiskey-dry vermouth Boulevardier riff, the Old Pal. Since the combination reminded me of the Dashboard Hula Girl, I was all set to give it a whirl. In the glass, it donated a lime, pineapple, and dark rum aroma to the nose. Next, caramel and grape notes on the sip erupted into pineapple, rum, caramel-bitter orange, and chocolate flavors on the swallow.

No comments: