Thursday, October 6, 2022

the royal navy dram

3 oz Zacapa Rum (2 oz Zaya)
3/4 oz Amaro Montenegro (1/2 oz)
3/4 oz Benedictine (1/2 oz)
1 Whole Egg

Shake once without ice and once with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a pinch of black lava salt or Kosher salt (sea salt).
Two Thursdays ago, I decided to make a recipe that I had spotted on the ShakeStir website called the Royal Navy Dram. This Flip was crafted by Chris Fields at the Matchbox in Chicago circa 2013 and features the Amaro Montenegro-Benedictine combination that worked well in the Alternative Ulster and Lindsey's Whimsy. Once assembled, the Royal Navy Dram proffered a caramel aroma that preceded a creamy caramel sip. Finally, rum, clementine, and herbal flavors were the final salute on the swallow.

2 comments:

MT said...

Another winner: extremely well balanced and the flavors combine wonderfully! The herbals in the Montenegro and Benedictine elevate the rum and give it more depth. I went with the Zacapa from the original spec. I have to say that your collection of whole egg cocktail recipes (here and in the 2 books) is a treasure trove and unmatched by any other cocktail reference that I've perused. Greatly appreciated.

frederic said...

I do love egg cocktails so I seek them out in books and in bars!