Monday, September 15, 2008

ewing no. 33

Appleton Estate VX rum
Fernet-Branca
Brown sugar syrup
Ricard
Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. My guesstimation of proportions is below. EDIT: The recipe from Food & Wine: Cocktails 2008 is below that.

Last night, Andrea and I went to Green Street for drinks. Shortly before ordering our first cocktails, Eastern Standard's Jackson Cannon sat down next to us and introduced us to Daniel Eun from Please Don't Tell who is here in town as part of an ES-PDT exchange program. This exchange starts today and runs until Wednesday, so we might stop in after I am done DJing tonight to have a drink made by Daniel. Although the experience will lack the speakeasy feel of entering PDT...

The Ewing no. 33 is a drink created by Dylan Black, the owner of Green Street. My sports fan friends would chuckle that I ordered a drink named after a sports star (some of my friends are "amused" that I criticize home teams for their screwing up commutes, crowding bars, usurping parking, and the like, and not for rooting for another team). The drink itself is a medium-bodied rum sweetened with simple syrup to bolster against the herbal phalanx of the Fernet and Angostura. From my web searching, I have only discovered that the original concept was a Ricard rinse; however, Misty added it as a dash to the mixing cup which is fine since it generally comes out tasting the same. The pastis adds some great flavor highlights to the drink very reminiscent of the late 1800's trend of adding an absinthe dash that I wrote about yesterday.

If I would have to guess proportions, I would estimate 1 1/2 oz rum, 1/2 oz Fernet-Branca, 1/2 oz of a 1:1 brown sugar simple syrup, 1/4 tsp Ricard (or a rinse), and 1 dash Angostura.
Ewing No. 33
• 2 oz Amber Rum
• 1/2 oz Fernet Branca
• 1/4 oz Spiced Brown Sugar Syrup (*)
• 1 dash Angostura
Stir on ice and strain into a coupe glass pre-rinsed with pastis. Garnish with a lime wedge.

(*) 8 oz water, 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 star anise pod, 2 allspice berries. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool, strain, and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

"Dylan Black doesn't invent many cocktails for his Cambridge restaurant, but he decided that basketball great Patrick Ewing, who grew up within blocks of Green Street, deserved one. Black uses Jamaican rum to honor Ewing's island birthplace, Kingston."

2 comments:

dfan said...

I love the Ewing #33, and have ordered it often enough by now that Andy has stopped giving me funny looks when I ask for it (I guess he's not a fan).

frederic said...

Andy gives me funny looks when I order anything with pastis, and I have received that look when ordering the Ewing before. He isn't a big fan of bitter liqueurs with some in particular. If you want to see him smile, ask him for a glass of bourbon. Since Misty was bartending, I didn't steer away from this drink.