Sunday, April 18, 2010

port antonio

1 oz Gold Rum (Lemon Hart 80)
1 oz Dark Rum (Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Coffee Liqueur (Kahlúa)
1/4 oz Falernum (Velvet)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime wheel.

After hearing that the Thursday Drink Night on Mixoloseum's chatroom on the 29th would be Kahlúa-sponsored, I searched CocktailDB for Kahlua drinks and found the Port Antonio. I was able to track it down to Stan Jones' book, and I was lured into the drink by the combination of coffee and lime that has worked so well recently in the Zambito. That and the fact that the drink is very tiki in nature with parallels to the Mai Tai recipe. So on Tuesday night, I mixed up a pair of Port Antonios for Andrea and me.
The Port Antonio started with Kahlúa and lime aromas. On the sip was a slightly tart coffee syrup sort of flavor with falernum spices on the swallow. I believe that our drink was less balanced than it should have been since our lime that night was a little sharper than average. The rums, especially the darker one, mingled rather well with the coffee notes, and again the coffee-lime pairing worked splendidly.

5 comments:

DJ HawaiianShirt said...

I just made this and the coffee liqueur overpowered it... though I think my choices are the culprit: Coruba, Cockspur 5-star, and Trader Vic's Kona Coffee Liqueur.

frederic said...

What I just read on a tiki board is that Trader Vic's is a lot more intense (coffee-wise) and sweet compared to Kahlua. With Kahlua, it was the right amount and not too over powering.

The coffee liqueur I wouldn't mind owning is Coffee Heering (from the Cherry Heering company) -- tastes exactly like you'd want a coffee liqueur to taste like -- roasted espresso without overwhelming sweetness. I got to try it at Tales and have since then only seen it at one bar here in Boston but on zero liquor store shelves.

Alexander Kern said...

I bet this drink would also work very well with St. George Spirits' Firelit coffee liqueur, as it has a very deep coffee flavor and a minimized sweetness. The recipe reminds me of the Rear Admiral Swizzle from Smugglers Cove that Camper English wrote about some time back.

Unknown said...

That's new. I haven't heard of a Mai Tai recipe that has coffee liquer in it.

Haley
Learn2Serve

KLVN said...

1oz Barrilito Puerto Rican Rum
1 oz Cruzan Black Strap
1oz Lime
.50 oz Cafe Mokka
.50oz Home made Falernum

shake, strain drink. enjoy

best spec ever