Saturday, April 10, 2010

sky pilot

1 1/2 oz Apple Brandy (Calvados)
3/4 oz Heavy Rum (Myers's Dark Rum)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/4 oz Grenadine

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

When it was time for my second drink at Rendezvous on Monday, I asked bartender Scott Holliday to make me another drink that I had spotted in their cocktail book, the Sky Pilot. This drink seemed like it would make a good follow up to the Mackinnon due to the overlapping ingredients of dark rum and lime juice. While cocktails called the Sky Pilot appear in my collection as early as 1937 in Café Royal Cocktail Book, I was only able to find one with this ingredient set in Stan Jones' 1977 Complete Bar Guide.
For a heavy rum, Scott chose Myers's Dark Rum instead of repeating the Old Monk from before. When I smelled the drink, it had a very apple nose from the Calvados whereas Andrea perceived the dark rum aromas more. The beginning of the sip was all about the rum, and the swallow was all the fruit flavors. I found it rather odd that the apple was not perceived at the beginning of the sip, but perhaps those flavors were just overwhelmed by the Myers's. Interestingly, both Andrea and Scott commented that the drink seemed a little salty to them.

2 comments:

DJ HawaiianShirt said...

Just made this with Laird's Bonded and Coruba, didn't cut the mustard. All I could taste was the brandy. Arg!

Randy said...

This reminds me of the Pan American Clipper in the Baker book.... I've never been able to make a decent one of those either.