Sunday, June 13, 2010

bird bath

2 oz Cocchi Americano
1 oz Scarlet Ibis Rum
1/2 oz Fighting Cock Bourbon

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass.

Last Sunday evening, Andrea and I went over to Craigie on Main for cocktails. When I was handed the menu, I immediately spotted the Bird Bath as a new drink on the menu and asked bartender Paul to make me one for my first drink. Paul explained that the drink was created by bar manager Carrie Cole along with Avery and Janey Glasser of the Bittermens. They concocted the recipe as they gathered all of the bird-named spirits at the bar and assembled them into a bird bath-like coupe glass. While I was quite familiar with the Lillet-like Cocchi Americano and the fiery overproof Fighting Cock, I had never had the Scarlet Ibis Rum. The rum was blended for Manhattan's Death & Co. and Haus Alpenz has released some of the bottles into the marketplace. When Paul let me have a taste, I found this aged Trinidad Rum to be flavorful yet rather smooth for an overproof.
The Bird Bath started with a floral nose that was punctuated by rum aromas and hints of Bourbon barrel vanilla notes. Moreover, the sweet citrussy Cocchi Americano flavor was perfectly balanced by the heat of the rum and the whiskey. If only there were a bird-named bitters, it would really round out the drink!

No comments: