Tuesday, June 1, 2010

the # tres

1 oz Beija Cachaça
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Lillet Blanc
1 oz Luxardo Triple Sec

Shake with ice and strain into a coupe glass. Gently add a dash of grenadine so it sinks to the bottom.

As I mentioned at the end of the Rum Ramsey post, Andrea and I went to Clio on Wednesday to celebrate her birthday. When I first saw the Clio cocktail menu posted on Grub Street Boston, I commented to Andrea that I was impressed at how many cachaça drinks there were. Andrea replied that head bartender Todd Maul mentioned that he enjoys substituting cachaça for regular rums as it makes for some interesting variations. So for my first drink request, I asked Todd what cachaça cocktail on the menu he recommended. His pick was the # Tres which he based off of the Corpse Reviver #2 cocktail except with the absinthe swapped for grenadine (besides changing the gin and lemon for cachaça and lime, that is).
The # Tres' nose was a soft funk with perfumey and citrussy notes mingling in the mix. The sip began with a complex and sweet citrus flavor that was chased by cachaça on the swallow. While the cachaça acted almost like a drying bitter note on the swallow, the Beija was not as raw of a spirit as most other cachaças. Todd said that he selected Beija for this drink as it was less smokey; moreover, it was more earthy and contained a grapefruit note like a tequila. Without the absinthe in the recipe, the drink reminded me more of a Hoop La which he also serves on the menu as a Frank Sullivan (those along with the Hey Hey and the Odd McIntyre being four of the names I have seen for this same recipe).

No comments: