Tuesday, March 31, 2015

youngs

2/3 jigger Sherry (1 1/2 oz Lustau Amontillado)
3 dash Dry Vermouth (1/2 oz Noilly Prat)
3 dash Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
2 dash Orgeat (1/2 oz BG Reynolds)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added a lemon twist.
Two Thursdays ago, I began the violet hour with a recipe I spotted in Pioneers of Mixing in Elite Bars: 1903-1933's wine cocktails section called the Youngs. With sherry and orgeat in the mix, I figured that a nutty oxidative sherry would make this combination sing. While the balance at first reminded me of an Army & Navy, in retrospect, it does remind me of the Sherry Mai Tai that I concocted two years ago or perhaps Todd Maul's Joe Bans You. Once mixed, the Youngs displayed lemon and nutty sherry notes on the nose. The lemon and grape from the sherry were lightened by the dry vermouth's grape on the sip, and the swallow did not let me down on the orgeat complementing the sherry aspect that I was anticipating.

1 comment:

Mr. Jay said...

Delicious but very light. I tried 2 variations - one with El Dorado rum and one with gin (following the referred Army Navy). Both were improvements for me making them more boozy - the rum sweeter almost tiki; the gin with a herbaceous note