Saturday, September 6, 2008

rye and dry

1 oz Sazerac Rye
1 oz Pimm's No. 1
1 oz Dry Vermouth
1 dash Bittermen's Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a low ball (rocks) glass.

Hugh made my second drink of the night last Monday at Eastern Standard. I picked one off of their newly updated Lineage-Legacy menu which features Pimm's No. 1, the gin-based liqueur. Kevin had already suggested the Rye & Dry and one other one off their list for me, and the Rye & Dry seemed to follow best after the King's Yellow.

The drink was rather good but the Pimm's felt a little lost in the drink for me to make out what it tasted like. When Kevin checked in, a commented this to which he poured me a small taste of the Pimm's straight. The best I could compare it to is an amaro mixed with mainly gin.

Kit came by to discuss the new drinks with me and I pointed to their Dartmouth Cooler as probably being the best crafted one of the group, although I did not take note of the ingredients (nor has the Eastern Standard website been updated since the change last week).

While this drink is an Eastern Standard original, it is most like a nod to the older Rye & Dry cocktail which CocktailDB.com lists as 1 1/2 oz rye, 1 oz dry vermouth, and 1 dash orange bitters.

No comments: