Wednesday, January 21, 2009

florentine flip

1 oz Amaro Nonino
3/4 oz Benedictine
1 oz Punt e Mes
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 drop Orange Blossom Water
Full Egg
Mint Essence

Shake ingredients (save for the mint essence) in a shaker once without ice and once with. Strain out ice and pour through a tea strainer into a coupe. Flame mint essence over the top of the drink.

Last night, I went down to Green Street for their Inauguration Party co-hosted by DrinkBoston and the Beer Advocate. After tasting the Whiskey Punch that Lauren Clark (of Drink Boston) made to honor Andrew Jackson's 1829 inauguration party (not sure if it was the same recipe or in the spirit of that one) and Avery Brewing Company's Ale to the Chief, I decided that the crowdedness of the celebration was a bit overwhelming. I did regret not trying Ommegang Brewery's "Obamagang", but I moved my celebration over to Craigie on Main where a bar stool and Tommy both greeted me.
I decided on the Florentine Flip, a drink I had previously avoided on Craigie's cocktail menu due to my egg-phobia but now wanted to try since recently beating my fears. Tommy's creation was rather smooth with hints of herbalness and bitters. The flip had a pleasing richness and was well-balanced such that no flavor took dominance over the others. Interesting was the choice of no base spirit in favor of two liquours and a vermouth. Without the egg, that mixture might have been a bit too sweet for me, yet with it, it was dead on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Obamagang went fairly quickly, so you might not have had a chance to try it anyways. Given the 30+ min waits at times to even get a chance to put your orders in, getting the handful of freebies (the daisy, ale to the chief & champagne) and moving elsewhere was the right move.

Unknown said...

Got this twice at Bergamot in Cambridge, where Paul the bartender gave me the low down on the birth of the cocktail at the hands of Craigie on Main's bartender. One of the best cocktails I've had in 2014
-Sharon
http://redorwhitewinereviews.blogspot.com/

frederic said...

We first met Paul when he was at Craigie, and some of the drinks he made for us during those days appear here (he wasn't the creative force behind Craigie, but is the creative force behind Bergamot).