Wednesday, March 4, 2009

[dubonnet tequila]

2 oz El Tesoro Tequila
3/4 oz Dubonnet Rouge
1/4 oz Drambuie
1 drop Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Twist orange rind over the top and discard peel.

For my last cocktail at Drink on Sunday, I asked Misty for a Dubonnet and gin drink. When Misty re-tasted the Dubonnet, she asked if she could go with tequila instead. Since her tequila-fu is rather strong (as evidenced by Andrea's tequila drink requests in the past), I told her that I trusted her. What surprised me more than her base spirit choice was when she pulled out a bottle of Drambuie, a honey-laden Scotch liqueur that I have never had in a cocktail or on its own. When she saw my surprise, Misty commented that Charlotte Voisey, bartender and brand ambassador for Hendricks and other products, had taught her how Drambuie and tequila mix rather well together.

First, the tequila and the Dubonnet made for a nice flavor combination with the Dubonnet riding on the first part of the sip before the tequila flavors kicked in. Next, the wonders of the Drambuie and tequila pairing became apparent with the honey matching up well with the tequila and with the smokiness of the Scotch meshing with the tequila. Andrea, who is a lot better versed in tequila than I, thought that the mix gave it the complex combination of flavors she has tasted in good tequilas.

1 comment:

dfan said...

You've never had Drambuie??

I present to you a dfan original, the Straight On Till Morning:

2 oz Pimm's
1 oz Drambuie

And now that you are drinking Scotch cocktails, you need to at least have one Rusty Nail (2 oz Scotch, 1 oz Drambuie).